Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Terrier Men's Lacrosse Dominates La Roche

Terrier Men's Lacrosse Dominates La Roche

The Terrier men's lacrosse team posted another dominant defensive performance as Hiram routed La Roche, 10-2, in their first road test on Wednesday evening.

Allowing just two goals, including one in each half, the Terrier defense, led by senior captain Nick Jericho, re-set the program standard for goals allowed in one game. The previous mark of three was set on Saturday afternoon against Franciscan.

Playing in his home state, Jericho paced the Hiram defense with five caused turnovers to help Hiram post 22 as a team. Horace Johnson, Jonah Austin and Justin Dionne all added three of their own to the mix.

Forcing La Roche to commit 29 turnovers, including 17 in the opening half, the Terriers held the Red Hawks to just 15 shots throughout the game.

"The defense played really well today and we were able to limit their offense effectively," commented head coach Brian Jenkins. "I think today was all about limiting possessions. Our players were really able to ride their offensive players and limit their chances, which was a key for us."

Not only did the defense play well, but the offense kicked the scoring into high gear early. The Terriers ran out eight first-half goals before La Roche added their lone score of the half.

The opening quarter was controlled by Hiram as the Terriers outshot La Roche 14-2. Junior Jaret Walland made his mark on the game early, scoring the first two tallies of the game. After a Johnson goal (his second of the season), Tim Stucky scored back-to-back goals to round out the first quarter scoring.

With his second goal of the night, Stucky became just the second player in Terrier history to amass 100 career points, joining recent graduate Nick Rollason in the distinction. He finished the game with one more goal and two more assists to finish the day with 103 total points.

The Terriers' leading scorer produced both of his assists on Hiram's first two goals of the second quarter. He first found Dionne for Hiram's sixth goal before he dished off to Austin for the seventh. Shortly after, Austin payed it forward with an assist to Marcus McNeal.

Walland would add his third goal of the evening before the half's end and Hiram would take a 9-1 advantage into the break.

The Terriers controlled every aspect of the opening half, outshooting the Red Hawks 32-5 while holding a 31-5 advantage in ground balls. Senior Alex Meehan continued his dominance in the face-off circle, grabbing 10-of-11. He would finish 14-of-15 on faceoffs.

Both sides would post just one goal each in the second half, with Stucky snagging his third goal in the third quarter to push the lead to 10-1.

Offensively, Stucky led Hiram for the second-straight game, finishing with five points. Walland added a trio of goals, marking his first-career hat trick. Dionne and Austin also both finished with multi-point games, tallying a goal and an assist, each.

Dionne led Hiram with seven ground balls, while Meehan finished with six. Overall, eight players totaled at least three en route to the Terriers posting 55.

The Terriers will be back in action on Saturday afternoon as they kick off a three-game home stand at Charles A. Henry Field. Hiram will face off with the Bulldogs of Adrian College at 3 p.m.